March is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month - a very important time of year to boost your wonderful support of Women V Cancer and in particular, Ovarian Cancer Action.
Ovarian cancer is the biggest gynaecological killer of women in the UK, with UK survival rates among the worst in Europe.
Three quarters of women are diagnosed once the cancer has already spread, making treatment more difficult. This is why awareness is so important, to drive forward improvements in diagnosis, treatment and survival.
Ovarian cancer survival rates belong in the 1970s.
The world has changed for the better for women in many ways since the 1970s – health, education, opportunities – but ovarian cancer patients are facing survival rates that belong in the past. In fact, they are lower than breast cancer survival rates were five decades ago. Ovarian Cancer Action hears from women time and time again that they want to help us change this, for themselves and for women of the future.
Every March, Ovarian Cancer Action raise awareness of ovarian cancer symptoms, because as we all know too well, early detection is key to a better outcome. And while they will continue to shout about this from the rooftops, this year they also want to focus on the bigger picture. Ovarian Cancer Action work to raise awareness and so much more to vastly improve survival rates.
With all this in mind, throughout March they will be exploring four areas they believe are key to improving survival rates:
· Better treatment
· Improved access to genetic testing
· Top quality surgery
· Improved resources and information
- Join the Ovarian Cancer Action London to Oxford Cycle. This awesome cycling event on 12 May challenges you to pedal 100km from London to Oxford in support of Ovarian Cancer Action. Registration closes at the end of March, so please find out more and book your place today on the Ovarian Cancer Action Website.
- Choose your next Women V Cancer challenge to raise vital funds and awareness for our trio of charities, who support thousands of people affected by breast, ovarian and cervical cancers and strive to put an end to the disease altogether.
Time's running out to book your place for Ride the Night London (registration closes 12 April!) and we only have limited spaces remaining for our other challenges, so if you'd like to join us for Ride the Night Edinburgh, London to Paris, Milan to Venice, Cycle Croatia, Cycle Costa Rica and/or Cycle Thailand, please secure your place if you haven't already! Browse all Women V Cancer challenges here. (Women Only)
- Support Ovarian Cancer Action on an open challenge. We welcome people from all walks and cycles of life to take on our open challenges in support of the cause closest to your heart. Why not commit to one of our challenges around the world to raise vital funds and awareness of Ovarian Cancer Action and the incredible, life saving work they carry out on a daily basis. Browse our challenges here.
- Raise funds for Ovarian Cancer Action and Women V Cancer in your spare time - and have fun while doing it, with these 9 eggs-cellent fundraising ideas for Easter.